Victorian Pottery Scottish Thistle Shortbread Mold

Scottish Tartan Weddings

George Square, and the Growth of the City,
page 8 of 9

for a time by a rotunda of wood, where there were panoramic exhibitions. The style of architecture of what was known sixty-five years ago as the “new buildings” is obviously much plainer than that of the corner houses. The whole compartment was formerly the Queen’s hotel, but is now the North British hotel. Mr. James, afterwards Sir James, Campbell occupied one of the houses in the “new buildings,” and in 1825 Mr. J. A. Campbell of Stracathro, M.P., was born there. It was in a house with a ground floor and basement, and was Sir J. C.’s residence till the house, 129 Bath Street, was ready for occupation. Sir John Neilson Cuthbertson was born in the same compartment of the Square in 1829. Opposite Mr. Hagart’s house was that of Mr. Andrew Rankin, son of Rev. Dr. Rankin of the Ramshorn parish church. It is now the North British Imperial hotel. His was one of two or three houses leading up to the entrance to the mansion of Mr. James Ewing. The crows in the trees the writer remembers, and there was a quarry of fine freestone behind the house. I a the other compartment of the Square, from North Hanover Street to North Frederick Street, at No. 62, was the counting house of Wm. Dunn of Duntocher. Dr. Wm. M’Kenzie, the oculist, of European reputation, had his house at 68. Near to his residence was that of another famous oculist, Dr. Monteith. At the eastern corner, where the office of the Dunoon Homes is, was the office of Mr. Wm. Aikman, manager of the Steam Carriage Company of Scotland. These notices refer to 1834-5. The steam carriage is remembered as coming round the Square, going down Queen Street, and within a year or so after the speculation was started, or about 1834, the disaster took place on the road leading to Paisley, by which several people lost their lives, by the blowing up of the boiler. Brard, the popular teacher of French, had his class rooms in this compartment as far back as 1827. In 1826, James Hill, writer, and of the sasine office of Renfrewshire, had his office in No. 52. Mr. Duncan McDougall, the nephew of Mr. Peter McDougall, the well-known teacher of writing and mathematics in Stirling, had a commercial academy in the flat above No. 56. The eastern compartment, now entirely occupied by the Municipal Buildings, had some interesting features. At the north-east corner of the Square was (1834-5) the residence of the Misses Alexander of Ballochmyle. The boys of the High School used to assemble opposite the house, to have a peep at the “bonny lass” of Burns — then well advanced in years— sitting at the window. No. 42 was the office of Wm. & Adam Graham-William occupying the house as far back as 1825. From this house (Mr. Adam Graham’s, now represented by A. J. & A. Graham), in 1841, the remains of Mr. Hozier of Newlands, grandfather of the present Sir Wm. Wallace Hozier of Mauldslie, were carried out for interment, having been brought from Edinburgh. No. 44 was the residence of Miss Kippen, the sister of Wm. Kippen of Busby. James Ewing & Co. transferred their place of business from Ingram buildings, at the head of Miller Street, to No. 36, the centre tenement, in 1839, and J. & A. Dennistoun removed from Montrose Street to No. 38, in 1842. Wm. Forlong of Erines, Argyllshire (wine merchant), occupied 34. The two houses at the south-east corner formed the George hotel, conducted by Hutton in 1825, and by James Black in 1834-5.

“The compartment now occupied by the Post Office had at the western corner, or that bounded by South Hanover Street, Manhattan buildings, which were occupied entirely by manufacturers, such as Anderson & Laurie (the present representatives of the family being Messrs. Anderson of the


:: Previous Page :: Next Page ::

Books & articles appearing here are modified adaptations
from a private collection of vintage books & magazines.
Reproduction of these pages is prohibited without written permission. © Laurel O'Donnell, 1996-2006.